Daniel Lepage on Sun, 30 May 2004 21:15:41 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] staggering time zones

On May 30, 2004, at 9.56 PM, Zarpint wrote:

The problem with the Telephone was that it was susceptible to this sort
of 'camping': it encouraged players to hang around online waiting for
Dave to publish the recognizer so they could jump on it and get the
small point bonus.
	I think the fear with OSG is that we'll have players who sit around
waiting for the end of the nweek so that they can immediately grab the
duties before other players can. If we have any strong incentives to
fulfill duties (and I definitely think we should), then these players
will be at a serious advantage in the game, even if the only reason why
they can camp like this is because they live in a time zone where
nweeks end at a comfy 7 PM instead of at 1 in the morning.

Wonko, it seems like a good thing if people are that eager to do duties.
Everything would always get done.

I'm not convinced of that. It seems equally likely that the easy duties would be done by multiple people, while the harder ones would be left for "someone else", and consequently would never be done.

--
Wonko

"If I ask you to pay attention to the weight of your body pressing on your buttocks as you set reading, you will momentarily stop reading."
	-David G. Myers, _Psychology: Myers in Modules_