Daniel Lepage on Sun, 30 May 2004 20:49:12 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Straw Poll on the Government Turnover

On May 30, 2004, at 9.26 PM, Zarpint wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. So it is similar to camping outside the box
office, except it cycles. Like if you sold the ticket for more than you
bought it for and got back in line. How does this relate to the Open
Source Government Idea again?

The problem with the Telephone was that it was susceptible to this sort of 'camping': it encouraged players to hang around online waiting for Dave to publish the recognizer so they could jump on it and get the small point bonus. I think the fear with OSG is that we'll have players who sit around waiting for the end of the nweek so that they can immediately grab the duties before other players can. If we have any strong incentives to fulfill duties (and I definitely think we should), then these players will be at a serious advantage in the game, even if the only reason why they can camp like this is because they live in a time zone where nweeks end at a comfy 7 PM instead of at 1 in the morning.

--
Wonko

"This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked [sic] from context" (David Moser, quoted by Douglas Hofstadter in his "Metamagical Themas" column in the January 1981 "Scientific American")