Daniel Lepage on Sun, 30 May 2004 21:12:04 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Redundant rules

I've been looking over the ruleset, and I've found a couple things that seem pointless, ill-planned, or redundant. Can anyone explain to me the rationale behind having them, or are they actually unneeded?

They are:

1) Unterumwelts
As far as I can tell, "Unterumwelt" is a fancy name for a society that has to have a secretary. Each is a group of players, governed by a local body of law that doesn't apply to anyone outside of the group. The differences are that Unterumwelts cannot take game actions, and must have Unteradmins presiding over them. Why can't an Unterumwelt be defined by "Unterumwelt: a society that cannot take game actions, and must have a secretary in charge of tracking its charter"?

2) Stasis/Lurking/Lost Souls/Comatose Players
I see very little to point to Lurking now. The only thing you get out of it is immunity to Garbage Collection. However, Garbage Collection now only puts you into Stasis, which seems to be *better* than being Lurking, because you can't be targeted by anti-player effects and your attributes never change, so you're immune to post-win resets, etc. Then all of this seems to be better than being a Lost Soul, meaning that if you're going to leave the game, you're better off simply walking away and waiting for Stasis than actually quitting. I don't think we should be rewarding people for abandoning the game rather than quitting, and I don't think we should be preserving people who join and then just ignore the game completely. And then Comatose Players (r1532) seems to run against the spirit of both Lurking and Stasis, allowing us to throw out these players anyway. (I'd forgotten that we had this rule)

3) Unauthored Proposals/Unauthored Proposals
I think this really is just a stupid error (I think on my part, actually), and I'll propose to fix it soon unless somebody can think of a good reason not to. The error is that Unauthored Proposals are defined in r19 and in r899, with definitions that are almost contradictory. I think I rewrote the rules on Proposals and simply forgot to repeal r899, so I'll fix this unless somebody knows why I shouldn't.

4) Unbridled Hostility
I can't really think of any time in this game's history when the Unbridled Hostility rule was actually useful... on the one or two occasions when it was called into play, it served only to irritate the alleged offenders more, and generally contribute to the ill spirit of the game. It's also badly worded: what does it mean by "the charge is referred to the upper house"?

5) Rulebooks
I'm not claiming that these are stupid and pointless, just that they don't work very well right now: they still require that all rules be given unique serial numbers, which means that breaking things into Rulebooks still leaves us with the problem of keeping the numbers straight across the books. It would make more sense to assign each rulebook its own precedence and number rules only within their book, using the rulebook precedence to decide issues between books.

I'll work on props to fix some of these once I have some spare time; in the meantime I welcome any explanations of why these problems are actually features that should be kept.

--
Wonko

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
                -- Plato