Zarpint on Sun, 30 May 2004 20:56:50 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] staggering time zones

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On May 30, 2004, at 9.26 PM, Zarpint wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the explanation. So it is similar to camping outside the box
> > office, except it cycles. Like if you sold the ticket for more than you
> > bought it for and got back in line. How does this relate to the Open
> > Source Government Idea again?
>
> The problem with the Telephone was that it was susceptible to this sort
> of 'camping': it encouraged players to hang around online waiting for
> Dave to publish the recognizer so they could jump on it and get the
> small point bonus.
> 	I think the fear with OSG is that we'll have players who sit around
> waiting for the end of the nweek so that they can immediately grab the
> duties before other players can. If we have any strong incentives to
> fulfill duties (and I definitely think we should), then these players
> will be at a serious advantage in the game, even if the only reason why
> they can camp like this is because they live in a time zone where
> nweeks end at a comfy 7 PM instead of at 1 in the morning.

Wonko, it seems like a good thing if people are that eager to do duties.
Everything would always get done.

We could make an nday 25 hours long, if you're worried about time zones,
so that the end of the nweek is staggered and each time zone gets an equal
chance to have the nweek end at X pm for all X.

Zarpint

--
Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."