Alexander Smith on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 06:05:33 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Gamestate collapse.

Cassie Bayer wrote:
> The question begs itself and thus produces a fundamental paradox of game
> play that is resolvable only by retroactively applying the original game
> state.  However, by original Rule 18/0 no event may alter the past.  Since
> logically retroactively applying the original game state is altering the
> past, no such event may happen, and thus the fundamental paradox of game
> play is only resolvable by a paradox, and thus is paradoxically
> unresolvable.
>
> Thus the game of B Nomic cannot exist at this time.
>
> THANKS FOR DROPPING THE ATOMIC PARADOX BOMB RIGHT WHEN I JOIN PEOPLE!
It's not as bad as it looks. There is a correct gamestate, we just have to
identify what it is (using any process we like). Noticing that we were
wrong all along is not a retroactive change. (Something like this has
happened before, in more than one nomic. Generally speaking, it's
considered appropriate for a particular dispute resolution scheme to
concluded that it doesn't exist and therefore doesn't apply. This doesn't
lead to a problem unless all dispute resolution schemes conclude some other
scheme was right. Also, note that nothing causes the outcome of such a
scheme to actually be correct, which is important; generally speaking,
people listen to them to determine what the true gamestate is. Also, a
healthy discussion on s-d is a sort of meta-dispute-resolution-scheme that
works no matter what the gamestate.)
--
ais523

<<winmail.dat>>