Alex Truelsen on Mon, 2 May 2005 21:01:09 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: New Subgame Idea...

> >> I believe that once shortly after I joined... probably January 2002,
> >> it was,
> >> I didn't check my e-mail for about two days and was greeted by more
> >> than 80
> >> messages on my return. We may be approaching that level again, but it
> >> does
> >> go up and down. My guess is that this is a flare-up caused by the
> game's
> >> rebirth, with all kinds of new territory to stick proposals into, and
> >> that
> >> it will begin to settle and/or become more routine.
> >>
> >> Or not.
> >

> > The two records, I believe, are two weeks with one message in them and
> > over a hundred messages in a little under two hours.
> >
> > It seems that Activity comes and goes because many players like making
> > games but not playing them. New ideas appear, and dozens of follow-up
> > props expand and enhance the idea, but when people stop coming up with
> > things to add, interest wanes until one subgame gets repealed and
> > another gets forged.
> >
> That thinking misses the point of Nomic. The point of Nomic isn't just
> to be content with the rules, usually. Most of the time, players should
> be thinking about how they can improve/ruin the game. Playing along with
> the rules they made is only temporary, in the right conditions.

When the ruleset passes the 100 page mark, it's all you can do to keep up
with the rules and use the ones that exist. Also, it's my experience that
the "point of Nomic" varies from game to game. Pre-collapse B Nomic was
about fiddling with the rules a little, playing subgames, and trying not to
blow things up because then you'd lose all your stuff. Unless you could win
by blowing things up - then it was worth it. Other games are about quietly
making proposals until someone wins. And some games suck. It really can
vary, as I said.

If your belief is that trying to improve/ruin the game is the point, vote
for Political Parties and make a Party with that stance!

[[BvS]]