Daniel Lepage on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:15:04 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Sheesh

This is completely ridiculous. If everyone insists on being so
childish, the game will never proceed.

A few claims, which I thought were obvious to anyone reading the
rules, but perhaps not.

1) Rule 10 allows players to Invalidate Game Actions. It also
Validates game actions that aren't Invalidated. This is redundant
because Game Actions are, by definition, actions permitted by the
rules. Illegally attempted actions AREN'T GAME ACTIONS! You can't make
something happen just by saying it, and everyone needs to STOP TRYING.

2) All this business about the uncertain state of the game IS NOT
currently an issue. 99% of all possible actions are clearly specified
as legal or not, and so far every contested action I've seen has come
about because somebody didn't read the rules carefully and didn't
think through what they were asserting.

3) THE WIKI SHOULD NOT BE MODIFIED UNLESS YOU'RE SURE YOUR ACTIONS ARE
LEGAL! To do otherwise is arrogant, disruptive, and usually wrong, and
serves only to worsen the confusion and make it harder to recover.

4) This is very important: Just because you *can* do something doesn't
mean you *should* do it. Some players seem not to understand this. I
don't know why you find it amusing to submit Consultations on, Object
to, and Invalidate every action on the fora, but it isn't funny, it
isn't clever, and it isn't "in the spirit of the game". It is petty,
childish, disruptive, and detrimental to all of us. I was out for four
hours and got almost seventy new messages, which is completely
ridiculous. Message death is, and has always been, the leading cause
of player dropout, and it's really stupid that we're doing it again
over a few ridiculous typos in the rules.

Now can we PLEASE agree to stop this petty bickering and actually play
the damn game again?

--
Wonko