Daniel Peter Lepage on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:53:39 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: Wonko amended 175

> "Daniel Peter Lepage" <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Being a Senator, I can still make 5 more this nweek; I'd happy to prop
>> something for you. Of course, certain handling fees will apply :D
>>
>> Specifically, I'll do it for 5 Genechips. You can keep the rest of the
>> rewards for the prop's passage.
>
> A tempting offer, but if you prop it then you can vote for it :).

You mean I can't. We'll see in a few days how much of a drawback that is;
I may need to hire a Lobbyist.

> I think I'll just wait for next nweek, or maybe see if my wife wants
> to prop some of them.

In a true free-market economy with purely rational agents, my offer would
win through. Clearly love has trumped capitalism yet again.

> Sometimes a 12-nday nweek seems too long, but sometimes the 10-nday
> nweek seemed too short, so I suspect that it's just about right. But
> maybe we should start voting a day sooner or so, since it seems that
> voting is very short compared to the proposing period.

Maybe we should have three 4-day voting sessions, one per Period. We could
require that a prop be Pending for at least 4 ndays before it could be
voted on, so that you'd always have to wait between 4 and 8 ndays for your
prop to be voted on (instead of between 0 and 12 ndays, as it is now).

We'd need to drastically lower the number of props per ballot, maybe
restricting everyone to two Pending props at a time (which would mean 6
per player per nweek).

The Ministry of Change could then become a three-person Ministry, one
handling each period; it wouldn't be a lot of work for anyone, and it
would be easy for the others to step in whenever one had to be out of town
or otherwise unavailable.

In fact, I like this idea so much that I'll probably prop it tonight,
unless anyone has good reasons not to.

--
Wonko