Jeremy Cook on Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:48:19 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [auto] BeeDee submits p1976

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 03:50:00PM -0500, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Currently the interaction of r10 and r11 seems to be to make all rules
> > in all rulebooks active. In any case; you can either say r10 only has
> > power because of itself, which leads to a paradox, or you can say that
> > r10 gains its power from being in the Rules, in which case it isn't
> > needed.
>
> Well, I'd be inclined to lean toward the first position there at the
> moment. Saying that the rules work because the rules say they do may
> be a paradox, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything to me. (And the
> game exists, after all, merely because the players say it exists,
> although the game determines who is a player. Just because something
> is a paradox doesn't mean it won't work.)

Well, it's not a logical contradiction. It's just that we need to
accept r10's authority on our own before we use its authority to
accept its authority.

> On the other hand, if there's no distinction between parts of the game
> that must be followed and parts of the game that aren't (as would be
> the case if r10 weren't there, I think), then why must I follow a
> given rule and yet I'm not compelled to follow instructions embedded
> in somebody's name (to give a wild example)?

Or, why is it that I can't say, "Zarpint gets 100000 points" and
have it have the force of Rule?

The only redundant part of r10 is the part that tells us to
follow r10. The rest gives us an important distinction. Maybe we
should change it to, "All game entities must abide by all the
Rules in effect except r10..."

And the "circumvent" part is troubling. There might be situations
where we need to stop the rules, fix something, and then start it
again. That's what the SOE is for, but currently r10 takes
precedence over r0.

Zarpint

> "I have discovered a strange level of sleep deprivation in which I do
> not randomly fall asleep and yet am completely incapable of
> intelligent thought..."	-- Jessi

Why isn't your wife playing?