athena on Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:04:07 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] refresh proto

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 05:44:32AM -0400, Glotmorf wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2004 at 22:48, athena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I respectfully disagree here. The point of sovereignty here is to make
> > it clear that no other rules apply. It has humor to it, but it's not
> > at all stupid IMHO.
>
> Is this practical, though?  What if we want to incorporate
> outside rules API/DLL style, or try once again to start an
> internomic?

Then we create a rule in our Nomic stating so, and it will apply to us.

> > The normal English meaning of a 'convention' is not binding. And this
> > issue has come up often. People seem to want normal lowercase words to
> > be defined explicitly at times, and this makes it clear that they have
> > the English meaning, without the need for a game dictionary.
>
> We want ALL words to be defined explicitly at times.  Shall we
> agree on an online dictionary to use as a default?

I don't think that's a good idea. There is no one dictionary or online
dictionary that pins down English, and if we pick one, we will have deal
with its omissions. Also, it's aesthetically ugly to tie our ruleset to
an external web site like that.

Zarpint