Glotmorf on Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:38:51 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] refresh proto

On 12 Jul 2004 at 22:48, athena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:22:50PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 12, 2004, at 12.31 AM, athena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > >I modified Teucer's ruleset slightly. Mine is on the Wiki under the
> > >title "AnotherCNomicRuleset". I'm going to propose it for refresh.
> > >Comments before I do?
> >
> > I don't like the second paragraph of r1. That was kind of funny in a
> > silly and stupid sort of way when it was first added; now it's just
> > kind of stupid in a silly and stupid sort of way. Ditto the new rule
> > 10.
>
> I respectfully disagree here. The point of sovereignty here is to make
> it clear that no other rules apply. It has humor to it, but it's not
> at all stupid IMHO.

Is this practical, though?  What if we want to incorporate
outside rules API/DLL style, or try once again to start an
internomic?

> > R4 seems sort of unneeded: the convention used so far has been, if
> > the rules redefine a word, then it has a different meaning;
> > otherwise, it doesn't. We use capitalized words that would be capped
> > in normal english, and we redefine lowercase words. Why bind us to a
> > specific convention?
>
> The normal English meaning of a 'convention' is not binding. And this
> issue has come up often. People seem to want normal lowercase words to
> be defined explicitly at times, and this makes it clear that they have
> the English meaning, without the need for a game dictionary.

We want ALL words to be defined explicitly at times.  Shall we
agree on an online dictionary to use as a default?

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt