Daniel Lepage on 16 Jul 2003 03:40:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Where do we go from here?

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 11:33  PM, Craig wrote:

Wiki based nomic...
We'll have to lock the ruleset page so only Dave can change it. Oh, and everyone needs to be the only person who can change that person's votes.

The idea of a Wiki is that anyone can change it, and it doesn't matter
because anyone can see and undo the changes.

Many wikis, however, make it hard to undo more than one change to a page. That is, the standard model says you can edit the previous version, but not the one before that. So people can change something, then change it again.

Well, on the NomicWiki, at least, it seems to hold numerous past representations of each page. We ought to be able simply to open the last verified version of it and replace the malformed version.

So there's no need to lock pages. If someone changes the rules without
having the right to do so, then give them a swift Kick in the Ass and
change it back.

Note that changing the textual representation of the rules is not the same as changing the rules themselves. It is just a way for evil beings to cause
massive confusion.

Only moderate confusion, methinks.

Wikis can have a login system, so that only people in the game have
accounts. If someone repeatedly changes data that they're not allowed to change, then they are refusing to abide by the rules, and therefore are
not a player. *Poof* goes their account.

Ingenious.

I agree.

--
Wonko