Baron von Skippy on 16 Jul 2003 03:43:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Where do we go from here?

>>> don't ask me what happens if the second Minister goes away as well.
>>> You might as well ask "what if SkyNet blows us all to kingdom come?"
>>> Well, then the Ministry
>>> won't be updated, will it?-
>>>
>>> And the resulting discrepancies, undetermined game state and hassles
>>> don't instantly make you declare this fatally flawed?
>>>
>> -Not unless you want to destroy all the Ministries for the same reason
>> and give all the work back to Dave. Every new person who does some
>> work increases the odds that we have a pause in some section of the
>> game. This is nothing new. So why is it a big problem now?-
>
>Because small pauses in things like Gnomes and the Force don't make
>that much of a difference. Pauses in things like The Grid, though, have
>been very bad. For a similarly large Ministry, such as your proposed
>Source ministry, I imagine this would be a significant problem.
-This assumes a steady stream of channeling actions, which I'm not sure we'll see. But we can establish failsafes anyway. What if the M'Hael/Keeper were backup ministers? And what if they were simply the most experienced, as opposed to most experienced and fully trained? Would that help some?-

>Actually, I've been thinking about how to take care of pauses in
>ministries in general, because they are bad and annoying. A delay of a
>day or two is only to be expected; we can't reasonably demand that
>every minister check eir email every day. But long delays are bad in
>any ministry, even the small ones.
>
>If we set up a Wiki system, then I can see this working; we could
>establish societies in charge of maintaining things like the Grid, and
>the Duties system can handle all the trivial ministries.

-Do we have the people to make "societies" worthwhile?-

[[BvS]]