Michael Gorman on 28 Jul 2002 18:57:02 -0000

Re: [eia] 3/05 Austria land phase

At 02:43 PM 7/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
    Hold it.  I thought we had just finished a conversation in which we all
agreed that the spirit of our House Rules was violated by requiring
retirement decisions in the middle of another player's land phase.  Now
maybe JJ's and Everett's emails indicate that they wish to revisit that
decision.  So be it.  But here are the rules I thought we had just agreed
to:

When a player is moving during their land phase:
    -they must stop whenever they enter a space containing an enemy corps
(contrary to the written rules).
    -they must make decisions during supply about whether to use unused
movement points for forage or not, and the decision would impact eligibility
for laying siege (contrary to the written rules).
    -all retirement decisions by non-phasing players are made after the
phasing player's land orders are complete (contrary to the written rules).

There are two possibilities:  either I completely misunderstood the point of
our recent discussions, or some of you have changed your minds about this
issue.  Please let me know which one it is (or if there is a third
alternative I am missing).

kdh
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree on all of your contrary to the written rules claims since I think you've just described the written rules.

It seems silly to me to decide the combat rules by reading the movement rules and not the combat rules. My reading of 7.3.7.1 is that you must end movement if you encounter a corps outside of a city and you should now go read how to declare an attack because you will have to declare an attack in the land combat phase. Now we go to 7.5.4, the general rules of land combat. These rules state in no uncertain terms that attack declarations occur after all land movement is complete. The way I see, this entire argument is trying to supercede the land combat rules with the land movement rules for reasons I cannot fathom.

Mike