Ed Murphy on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:41:08 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laser sharpener

0x44 wrote:

> comex wrote:
>> Are you seriously saying that the roles of CAN and MAY are directly
>> reversed in B?
> Yes, you may thank ehird for that. We'll fix it after the emergency

As I noted before, the current standard seems to be that "can", "may",
and "must" both refer to possibility (informal), while "shall" refers
to punishability (formal).  If I'm wrong about that, then please point
out specific cases (esp. for "can") that differ.

In particular, if the proposed new formal standard is adopted, then the
restrictions on Laws affecting rule-defined gamestate should be adjusted
to match it as intended (i.e. they are physically barred except as
explicitly allowed by the rules, e.g. limiting teleportation).