comex on Mon, 29 Dec 2008 23:07:03 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laser sharpener

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It doesn't matter, the Laws of White only gave you permission to perform the
> action and could not have done so per 5e48. As we determined last nweek with
> retractions, "CAN" grants permission without a mechanism to perform a game
> action, "MAY" defines the mechanism.

Oh... well, it's supposed to be an Agoran-style CAN but SHALL NOT,
i.e. mechanism is defined but I'm legally forbidden from using it.
Are you seriously saying that the roles of CAN and MAY are directly
reversed in B?  That doesn't even make any sense given the
ordinary-English meanings (CAN=possibility, MAY=permissibility--
indeed, the Agoran rule that defines these is named [as possibly you
know] "Mother, May I?", after the situation where one is told by eir
mother that sure, e physically CAN take a cookie from the cookie jar,
but e MAY NOT).