bnomic on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:53:02 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laser sharpener

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:38:43 -0800, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> 0x44 wrote:
>
> As I noted before, the current standard seems to be that "can", "may",
> and "must" both refer to possibility (informal), while "shall" refers
> to punishability (formal).  If I'm wrong about that, then please point
> out specific cases (esp. for "can") that differ.

You're wrong about that for MAY because of 5e10, "Text to the effect that
"any player may do X" should be interpreted to mean that X is a Game
Action; but such a declaration implies that only players may take the Game
Action X (unless another declaration permits other Outsiders to as well). "