Daniel Lepage on Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:31:42 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Testing

It's good to see some familiar faces lurking on the spoon-fora!

FWIW, I would like to go on the record again claiming that the Imaginary
Period was a myth - B did not die because of a bug, but because a perceived
bug caused the players to stop playing[0].

In a Platonic interpretation the game is still running, although the
current rules etc. are inaccessible because nobody's been maintaining the
wiki. The Emergency ended; the statement that the Emergency Coordinator
would apply the winning Refresh Proposal turned out to be false[1]. The
standard timekeeping method restarted, and Normal [[?!?]] Play resumed. The
Clock ticked forwards, until the next automated clock stop[2]. So
currently, the Clock is stopped, the Watch[3] has been advancing for
months, and the game is waiting for whatever minister is needed to start it
again.

However, in the more practical interpretation the game is over in the sense
that nobody is playing it, which pretty much makes it definitionally not a
game.

I liked the nweek 112 reset[4], and IIRC it worked pretty well. I'd be
careful with a ratification system, though - we used that once upon a time
until a player won by hiding game actions in eir signature and the "Statute
of Limitations" rule automatically made them retroactively true.

Personally, I'm leaning much more pragmatic than platonist these days, and
am more inclined to omit ratification on the grounds that if we all act
like a fact is true when the rules say it's not, then all that means is
that the rules don't accurately reflect the game that we're playing, and we
should probably fix it. This is in keeping with all other games ever - if,
30 minutes into playing a board game, you realize that you've misread one
of the rules, you don't undo the last 20 minutes and do them over, you just
declare whatever you were doing a temporary house rule and then use the
correct rules for the rest of the game.

--
Wonko

[0]
http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-discuss/spoon-discuss-201302/msg00017.html

[1] Precedent is that false assertions made by the rules are simply
ignored; see e.g. the debates regarding the Cursed Sushi of Babel.

[2] Checkpoint? I'm not sure what sort of automatic stopping points existed
in the most recent rules, my last local snapshot is way back at nweek 99.
But I'm pretty sure they exist.

[3] Or ndelay, or whatever currently tracks time when the Clock is Off.

[4]
http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-business/spoon-business-200611/msg00000.html