Craig Daniel on Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:48:52 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Emergency Resolution

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've really always thought there aren't enough recorded eras after 5E. I think it should be broken down like this:
> 6E (Second 4th Era) - Reset to 4th Era rules after the end of 5th Era
> 7E (Bgoran Era) - Copying Agora's ruleset
> 8E (Cenobiarchic Era) - Wooble becomes cenobiarch and the rules start turning back towards more B-like rules
> 9E (Revival Era) - This era that started when we got bored with the mixed B and Agora ruleset.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Everything after the end of 5E is by definition 6E.
>
> I've really always thought there aren't enough recorded eras after 5E. I think it should be broken down like this:
> 6E (Second 4th Era) - Reset to 4th Era rules after the end of 5th Era
> 7E (Bgoran Era) - Copying Agora's ruleset
> 8E (Cenobiarchic Era) - Wooble becomes cenobiarch and the rules start turning back towards more B-like rules
> 9E (Revival Era) - This era that started when we got bored with the mixed B and Agora ruleset.

I don't think every significant change to the ruleset deserves a new
Era. I'd rather we cleaned up the definitions to note that the late
5th era allegedly copied the 4th, that Wooble's reign didn't start
immediately in the B/Agora hybrid period, and that we're now about to
be reviving a *different* old ruleset, which still fits the revival
theme of late 6E as currently defined. But it's not a big deal.

>> > The other option is compsciguy's proposal to go back to 5E, which would not require working out rulesets (it would need people to
> agree
>> > to start an emergency though).
>>
>> Too late, as this one's been resolved. We don't know what the
>> emergency procedure is, and I'm waiting to hear Wooble's argument for
>> why it is the one used in late 1E, but we're clearly in an emergency
>> situation that's just waiting for recognition. I encourage everybody
>> to recognize an emergency, consent to an emergency, recognize a state
>> of emergency, and hit their panic button, so we can resolve on
>> absolute certainty about when we are.
>

> I'll send a message to s-b after this one (I think s-b is experiencing less problems than s-d). I would support a return to 5th era in the
> new emergency. If it hadn't been for the comment bug we would have continued with 5th era.

Eh, we voted to go back to something random. I at least voted to do so
because I wanted to see how that would go. Let's clarify that we
actually return to the thing we think we returned to, by which I mean
the nweek-100 rules, and amend those if we want to. (Once this
emergency gets underway, I'm submitting precisely that.)

 - teucer