Alexander Smith on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:20:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Contract Ideals Discussion

Warrigal wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Charles Schaefer
> <chuckles11489@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Programming glitches/hacking: this isn't a programming nomic, so it
> > shouldn't be a problem any time soon, but it would be interesting to hear
> > how they handle the situation. I think some of you play them.
>
> Glitches: Propose to fix them if they're minor, have an admin fix them
> if they're major. People usually don't hack things, but if they do,
> they're allowed to reward themselves with something like admin status
> or points. Not that Normish has any way to gain or spend points.

Note that I think Normish is unusual even amongst codenomics in this regard,
although personally I like the result. (And it will have gameplay Real Soon
Now, i hope... I even managed to play a card yesterday in my working version
of the TCG, for instance.)

In PerlNomic, a proposal is considered necessary to fix even minor bugs;
there are safeguards in the rules to help prevent the game becoming
unplayable (the main one of which is "if there have been no proposals for
3 days, any person can undo the effect of any recent proposal", which makes
it very hard for the proposal system to end up broken (and it's a separate
mechanism from the proposals themselves)).

The huge advantage of the way things are done in both PerlNomic and Normish
is the severability of the rules; in both cases, rules act entirely
independently of each other, and anything can be accomplished so long as it
is permitted by at least one rule. This leads to an interesting nomic style,
by the way; nothing can be prohibited by a rule (although rules can
prescribe punishments for breaking them), but things are only possible where
explicitly permitted, or when they are things that the nomic itself has no
control over (such as breathing).

[For instance, PerlNomic has a rule allowing players to become inactive; if
they do, they can be punished by any other person if they become active
again in the near future, causing them to become inactive and lose points
and ethos. Becoming active is controlled by other rules, though, so can't
be prevented by the hibernation rule.]

For people interested, I translated a slightly older version of PerlNomic's
ruleset into English, and it's available at
<http://nomic.info/perlnomic/human_readable_rules.txt>. (Of course, the
version written in Perl is the binding one, but probably not everyone here
can read it, or wants to read it; the English version should be easier on
the brain.)

--
ais523

<<winmail.dat>>