Daniel Lepage on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:02:21 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Use Sequential Rule Numbers

On Dec 17, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Roger Hicks wrote:

> I revise my proposal titled "Use Sequential Rule Numbers" to read:
>
> NOTE: This revision fixes the problems with the previous version. The
> renumbering now does not occur until nday 1 of the next nweek to
> prevent any issues with it passing in the middle of a series of
> proposals.
>
> Use Sequential Rule Numbers
> {
> Amend Rule 1-8 to read:
> {{
> Rules are Game Documents that define how this game is played. Each
> Rule must have a number and may have a name. Rule are numbered from a
> set that initially contains all positive integers and zero. When a new
> rule is created, the Minister of Law is obligated to assign it the
> lowest number
> available in the set, and then remove that number from the set. Each
> rule number shall be prefixed with the notation "4E" (for Fourth Era)
> to distinguish it from past rules in previous eras of B Nomic.
>
> Rules may be contained in named Sections.
>
> There exists a ministry known as the Ministry of Law. The Minister of
> Law, also known as the Rulekeeper, is responsible for maintaining a
> Public Display of the current Rules and Victory Conditions.
>
> The Rulekeeper may, as a Game Action, do any of the following:
>
>  * Create a Section.
>  * Remove a Section, causing all Rules in that section to no longer
> be contained by a Section.
>  * Move a Rule into or out of a Section.
> }}
>
> Create a new rule with the title "The Great Renumber" and the text:
> {{
> At the beginning of nday 1, each rule in the ruleset (beginning with
> Rule 0 and continuing sequentially by section number and then rule
> number) is renumbered to a sequential integer number beginning with 0
> and incrementing each by 1. Then this rule repeals itself.

A) Why can't this be specified in the proposal body?
B) What about rules that refer to other rules by number? For example,
r3-13.
C) Does this also empower the Rulekeeper to reorder the rules within a
section?

I suppose the last has no bearing on the game at the moment, because
we have no mechanism for dealing with contradictions between rules.

--
Wonko