Geoffrey Spear on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:44:58 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Use Sequential Rule Numbers

You do realize that lots of sequential numbers higher than 0 have
already been used for rules, right?

Perhaps we should find the highest one that was used before the
current numbering scheme started in case anything ever gets done with
the old B database; if the historical rules become available we'll
want to avoid confusion.

--Wooble

On Dec 3, 2007 4:28 PM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I submit the following proposal:
>
> Use Sequential Rule Numbers
> {
> Amend Rule 1-8 to read:
> {{
> Rules are Game Documents that define how this game is played. Each
> Rule may have a Name and a Number. Whenever a new rule is created it
> is given the next highest sequential number that has not yet been used
> for a rule.
>
> Rules may be contained in named Sections.
>
> There exists a ministry known as the Ministry of Law. The Minister of
> Law, also known as the Rulekeeper, is responsible for maintaining a
> Public Display of the current Rules and Victory Conditions.
>
> The Rulekeeper may, as a Game Action, do any of the following:
>
>     * Create a Section.
>     * Remove a Section, causing all Rules in that section to no longer
> be contained by a Section.
>     * Move a Rule into or out of a Section.
> }}
>
> One second after the adoption of this proposal, each rule in the
> ruleset is renumbered. Beginning with rule 0, and continuing
> sequentially by section number and then by rule number, each rule is
> re-assigned a new sequential integer number beginning with the number
> 0. Then the text of all rules is amended so that any rule which refers
> to another rule by number now refers to the new number for that rule.
>
> [[NOTE: Under the current system of arbitrarily assigned rule-numbers,
> it is difficult to look back on past archives and determine the nature
> of conversations based upon their rule number. Under this new system,
> each and every rule would be assigned a unique permanent number. Rules
> could also be tracked individually on the wiki by rule number, and
> therefore allow players to create links to specific rules that will
> not break.]]
> }
>
> BobTHJ

Geoffrey Spear