Mike McGann on Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:28:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation

On Dec 3, 2007 4:30 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Speaking of which, a subgame idea: A grid board, with objects on the
> spaces, and players move around, say once per nweek, taking actions
> with said objects.

I've been thinking this over for a few days now, and I'm having a hard
time of thinking how to implement this. If each player is a player in
this mini-game it could be a lot of people. How do players make a
move? In turn? That would take too long. Upon arrival at the forum?
Too time sensitive. All at once after actions are gathered? In that
case, how are things resolved if people perform conflicting actions?
If you have any more details to this idea, they would be helpful.

Also, how about something along the Mornington Crescent theme or has
that already been done? The playing board is the London Underground
map. One move per nweek. You can only do one of two moves, get on a
train (direction must be specified), or get off a train at a station.
If you are on a train, you can get off at any stop on that line in the
direction you are going. First to arrive at Mornington Crescent wins
with the caveat that the station is "closed" and you can't stop there
according to the initial ruleset. It starts off with really "nothing
to do" but the fun would be keep adding to it and somehow try to find
a way to win (with an emphasis on weird rules and not on massive game
state).

Of course, trying to introduce a mini-game would be a large rule to
introduce unless it was a very simple game. Without enthusiasm, coming
up with a large rule that is likely to be voted down isn't really
worth the work.

- Hose