Mike McGann on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:01:14 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation

On Dec 1, 2007 9:45 AM, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd say that "not prohibited or regulated" means ~<PvR>, which, by De Morgan's Law, is equivalent to <~P^~R>, meaning "neither prohibited nor regulated."

De Morgan's Law would make that "not prohibited and not regulated" if
the or is non-exclusive. I think it would be easy enough to argue that
the or is non-exclusive in this case.

"X cannot do Y" means that X is prohibited to do Y.
"X can do Y " means that X is allowed to do Y.
"X can do Y if Z is true" means that X's ability to do Y is regulated
by the condition of Z.

What I could never understand in the whole debate of this was how
something gains a magical "regulated" property just by describing it.
If there is a rule "There is an object called a washing machine", it
is now "regulated" but regulated in what way?

- Hose