Mike McGann on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:30:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation

On Dec 1, 2007 10:54 AM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More commonly, if a type of action involving washing machines is
> described, then that type of action is regulated.  However, if a
> TOAIWM isn't described, then presumably it isn't regulated; hence
> (for instance) Agora's blanket provision regulating anything that
> would change the contents of a Public Display (i.e. if a TOAIWM
> isn't described, and WMs are part of a PD, then it's impossible).

I realize that is what is intended, I just don't see the jump to there
from the rule. Also, type of action could be confusing. Let's say I
give myself 10 Zar Points. I can do that because nothing prohibits me
and it isn't regulated. Of course, it would not really do anything.
Now let's say there is a rule:

"Each Player has number of Zar Points that must be greater than zero."

I understand this as that changing the value of the points isn't
regulated yet, so anyone can change the values. Now add the following:

"Each Player starts with one Zar Point. Once per nday, a Player may
increment his Zar Points by one"

I can now see how the desired effect is that this now regulates it so
only Players may increase their Zar Points and can only do it once per
day. All other ways of incrementing Zar Points would no longer be
allowed. A Player would no longer be able to increase the Zar Points
of another Player, etc. But, I don't see how the proposed rule comes
to the conclusion that "X is allowed to be done as long as a rule
doesn't describe X. Once a rule defines how to perform X, that is the
only way that X can be performed." But, would I be able to decrement
my Zar Points at anytime? Can I decrement anyone's Zar Points at any
time?

Maybe the problem is that it proposed change really doesn't define
what "regulated" is. Agora's Rule 2125 makes is perfectly clear what
is regulated and what is not. If I pose the simple question of "is X
regulated?" I can easily get my answer from Rule 2125. I also see how
2125(c) catches a lot of things which is a nice feature (and I must
say, quite elegant). In general, this works because it says, W, X, Y,
Z are regulated, rules may create in-game entities and regulate their
behavior (Rule 2141), and then players can do anything else that is
not regulated. This also makes it clear if I can perform certain
action. Agora's rules prevent all of the tomfoolery described above.

With the proposed change in the RP, something is unregulated and
permitted if it isn't regulated or prohibited by a rule. Posing the
question of "is X regulated?" may not be easy to answer. If the
argument is, "But this works in Agora", then would replacing Rule 2125
with "Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted
and unregulated. However, for the purposes of this rule an action or
in-game entity is regulated if described by a rule." be the same as
Rule 2125 stands right now? I think someone should submit that as a
Proposal over there, I'd love to read the discussion :-)

- Hose