Daniel Lepage on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 05:01:56 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] Invalid Refresh Proposals ?

On Nov 30, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Antonio Dolcetta wrote:

> Roger Hicks wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 2007 10:57 AM, Antonio Dolcetta <antonio.dolcetta@xxxxxxxxx
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> And who decides how clear something has to be for it to be
>>> regulated or
>>> not ?
>>> I'd say the submission of Refresh Proposals is extremely clear.
>>> One man, one Refresh Proposal.
>>> Impossible to be clearer.
>>>

>> I could agree with that, but I see nothing regulating the ability to
>> retract or revise refresh proposals.
>>
>> BobTHJ
>>

> Maybe you don't see it because it's not there.

This "regulation" business is open to all sorts of interpretive
loopholes, which is precisely why we have opted for many years not to
use it.

For example, nothing in the rules regulates the action "changing all
proposals to read 'Make Wonko Win'".

But, we have argued, the rules do provide ways to modify proposals, so
that's regulated.

But then, the rules provide ways to change the gamestate, so any
change to the gamestate is regulated by the same logic.

Hence why we've never allowed such arguments before. If the rules say
you can do something, you can do it. If they don't, you can't.

Note: This obviously doesn't apply to things like brushing your teeth.
The rules only have power over the game, and what you do in your spare
time is beyond the scope of the game, and beyond the power of the game
to regulate.

A corollary to this is that Antonio is right. RPs CANNOT be rescinded
or modified, because the rules don't provide any way to do so. This is
a gross oversight in the emergency rules.

However, we can't just ignore it or selectively reinterpret the rules
to make them work. If we could, then we'd have done that in the first
place instead of calling an Emergency. We also wouldn't then be
playing Nomic; we'd be playing the game of "let's decide what we want
to say we did and then say we did it!" which is, IMHO, a far less
enjoyable pastime. Why have rules at all if we're going to ignore them
when they bother us?

--
Wonko