Chuck Adams on Fri, 8 Dec 2006 13:32:09 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] AMEND PROPOSAL: The Rules Rule

On 12/8/06, bd <nomic@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about periodic actions? The Rules don't specifically state that,
> yes, nweek transition is something which can add, remove, or alter game
> objects.

Actually, simply by stating that time progresses, the Rules have
already made it so.  This proposal probably would have the effect of
outlawing the portion of Antonio's clock script that automatically
stops the clock, because it's not an action taken by the Administrator
(Antonio is not the Administrator).  A proposal to amend The Clock to
automatically stop at the end of the nweek should be pretty
straightforward though, since I think it's a good idea in general.
That or the clock script could simply state that it's an unofficial
estimate?

Either way, under Monopoly Rule or The Rules Rule, that (useful)
script could have dubious standing unless the rules get amended to
permit it.

> I'm still of the opinion that clearing this up can be simply done by
> limiting changes to the gamestate to mechanisms stated in the rules, and
> making Game Actions only possible if the rules explicitly (eg, with a
> "Players may ..." form) allow it.

Probably.  I like the idea of channelling everything that changes Game
Objects into Game Actions, and having to break that mold though.

//s