Daniel Lepage on Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:28:37 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Amended proposal: Legal Mode

On Dec 4, 2006, at 1:47 PM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I suppose I mostly don't like the fuzziness of the word
>> 'pertaining'...
>
> I can change that.
>
>> What's wrong with the simpler approach of only allowing game actions
>> permitted by the rules?
>
> Nothing.  Especially if you see Nomic as a game in the same way that
> scrabble is a game.  Although I wonder if it might make the game a
> little limiting and end up with us having much longer, more specific
> rules.
>
> Neither is there anything wrong with treating - as Suber did - Nomic
> as a model of the legal system, where everything is permitted unless
> it says so in the rules.  I wonder - again, only wonder, as a newbie -
> whether this might be more interesting, at least to me.

It boils down to whether you look at the rules as defining a world or
governing it.

In a real legal system, the players *are* governed by a set of
absolute prohibitions, namely the laws of physics. A real legal
system generally permits its "players" to do anything they can under
the laws of physics, except for actions that the legal system defines
as illegal.

By contrast, our game objects have no law except for the rules of the
game. The nature and properties of game objects are set entirely by
what the rules say. So if we're going to have points, and subgames,
and other "gamelike" phenomena, then the rules in charge of those
have to be "physical laws", that is, rules that lay out *exactly*
what is permitted, and nothing more.

If we instead wanted to govern a system of real-world objects, or
objects subject to some other "physical law", then we could make use
of Suber's "lawlike" permissibility. This would work if, for example,
you were playing Suber's game as he originally designed it, as a face
to face game played with index cards and sheets of paper.

Note also that a real legal system doesn't control anything itself. A
law can't say "A car exists here" and simply cause a car to be there.
All a law can do is say, perhaps, "If person X doesn't put a car
here, then he should go jail". Even that relies on other people
following the law and taking person X to jail if e doesn't get a car.

In a virtual game such as our nomic, however, if a rule says "There
exists a car", then the car 'exists' as much as anything else in the
game does.

What might be interesting would be to break the rules into two
categories, the "physical laws" and the "governmental laws", where
the first lays out exactly what players can or cannot do, and the
second provides punishments, incentives, etc.

However, you'd still need some sort of special power given to the
governmental laws, because otherwise we could all simply choose not
to follow them.

--
Wonko