bd on Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:14:51 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Amended proposal: Legal Mode

shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Amended proposal: Legal Mode.
> Create a new rule titled "Legal Mode":
> {{
> If a game action is not prohibited by the rules, then it is permitted.
>
> However, if a game action pertaining to a specific object is not
> covered by the rules, but the rules include a list of valid actions or
> alternatives for that object, then those are the only valid actions or
> alternatives for that object.
>
> A list of valid actions or alternatives can span more than one rule.
>
> [[So if I say you can "call" or "draw" on a "hand", those are the only
> two things you can do on a hand, even if I didn't actually say that.]]
> }}

I can't help but think this is the wrong approach - this rule is complex
and hard to understand, whereas if we go the other way, and state that
only those actions explicitly permitted by the rules are legal, then all
this complexity goes away.

{{
If a game action is not explicitly permitted by the rules, it is prohibited.
}}