shadowfirebird on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:33:06 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Posts (like Ministers); draft rule, shoot it down now, please.

While we're waiting for the end of the first turn, and since some
players seem quite keen to see me propose rule-tag, I thought I'd get
all your opinion on this one.

We need something like this before we can play anything like rule tag
or the grid.

Like the subject line says, shoot me down, please - all suggestions
taken on board to get this passed.

One thing I am already not happy about - can a post holder be paid in
points?  Or do we need money?

<draft>
__Posts__
Create a new rule titled "Posts"
{
[[DEFINITIONS]]
A Post is a game object that can be assigned to a single player.  Each
post has a  unique title. Only one player can be in possession of a
post at any  one time.

For the purposes if this rule the term "player" includes the Admin;
the term "post holder" refers to the player in possession of a given
post.

The rule defining a post must detail:

1) The "powers": that is, the game actions which the holder of the
post can perform, but other players cannot.

2) The "responsibilities": that is, the game actions which the holder
of the post must perform or face sensure.

3) The "sensure": the penalty for not carrying out the
responsibilities.  If the responsibilities are not met in a given
week, then the post holder receives no awards in that week.

4) The "restrictions": the game actions that the post holder may not do.

5) The "awards": recompense that the post holder receives.  Unless the
rule defining the post says otherwise, this is 10 points per week,
paid at the start of n-day 1.

[[Any of the above can be "none", of course.]]

Unless otherwise stated, the initial post holder is the Admin.

[[VACANCIES]]
A post holder may not transfer the post to another player.  However,
he may resign from the post (by notification to the public forum), in
which case possession of  the post reverts to the Admin.
[[Players can propose that a post holder resign, obviously.]]

If no other player holds a post then the admin is the post holder.

If the admin holds a post, e may choose to hold an election.  If e
does so e may also choose to suspend all rules that refer to the post
until such time as it is held by someone other than emself. This must
be done by notification to the public forum, clearly stating which
rules are suspended.

[[ELECTIONS]]
An election for a post is conducted as follows:

(i) The Admin posts on the public forum a notification of the
election, and a    deadline for nominations. A player who wishes to be
a candidate may nominate emself by posting to the public forum.
No-one may nominate any player but emself.

(ii) Once the nominations deadline has passed, The Admin posts a list
of the    candidates for the election along with a deadline for
voting. Each player gets a single "post vote", which consists of the
name of one of the candidates.

(iii) Once the deadline for voting has passed, the player with the
greatest    number of post votes is the winner; e is declared so on
the public forum.  If there is more than one player tied for the
greatest number of votes, the process returns to stage (ii); the
candidates consist of only those players that tied.

Only one election can be ongoing at any one time.  [[because it
simplifies this rule a great deal!]]

[[The rule defining a post should delimit the timescale for such
elections, if   that is needed.]]

[[MISCELANEOUS]]
The Admin is granted all the powers and abilities of every post.

If this rule conflicts with a rule that defines a post, then that rule
takes    precedence.
}}
</draft>