Daniel Lepage on Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:14:11 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Why no mutable/immutable?

On Nov 21, 2006, at 5:23 PM, Andy Jones wrote:

> I thought that it might be something like that.
>
> Your test case still requires a majority to vote for a proposal which
> then casts votes for them.  I for one would be very suspicious of such
> a proposal.  And in any case the current ruleset states only that
> players may submit proposals.

Well, that could also be changed. The main point is that if a
majority of the players want to do something, they can always make it
happen via a normal proposal. Thus, there's no real benefit to a rule
that's "harder" to mutate.

You do make a good point that some players may vote against a
proposal that circumvents immutability solely on the grounds that
they don't like to see immutability circumvented. In other words,
although there is no logical difference between mutable and immutable
rules, there may be a psychological difference.

Historically, however, players haven't been discouraged by this. In
fact, past rules that tried to keep people from changing them were
usually circumvented almost immediately, often just to prove it could
be done. At one point there was a large prize in BNS for anyone who
could produce a nontrivial immutable rule, but after a few people
tried and failed we abandoned the quest.

Note that trivially immutable rules are pretty easy - "No other rule
has any effect, and rules may not be changed" or "Nothing in the
gamestate can change unless Wonko permits it".

Personally, I don't like immutable rules because they're a real pain.
At one point earlier in the game we did have a rule that tried to
limit what could be done to change it. Then we had a game-wide
catastrophe and went into r0, the Emergency Management Procedure,
where each player may submit a single proposal to fix the game and we
vote on which Refresh Prop is used. The process was almost badly
fouled up because a proposal to reset the rules forgot that one of
them needed special attention.

In short, if a majority of all players want to change something in
the game, I feel that they should be allowed to change it.

> I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it.  I'll think
> about that.

True - you're welcome to try.

--
Wonko