Daniel Lepage on Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:04:09 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Why is the Clock off?

On Jan 2, 2005, at 9.01 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

I was just curious as to why the Clock was still off... I see that r23
says that at the end of each nweek, the Clock stops until the GM
recognizes the rules changes, which I believe e already did. Then,
r1586 says that the Clock is turned off after each Checking Period
until actions taken during the period have been "officially
recognized". I don't see anything else about being required to
officially recognize actions... So who determines if any actions have
not been officially recognized, and/or restarts the clock?

The GM is responsible for restarting the clock when e recognizes the rules, and the reason it was still off when you sent this was because I'd forgotten to do so. It's now on.

Recognizing is an action defined by game precedent. When we had a single administrator running everything, e would issue period "Recognizers", listing whatever actions had been taken since the last Recognizer; this was basically an indication that Dave had seen the action, agreed that it was legal, and updated the various online displays accordingly. We decided that to make sure the game wouldn't get too much ahead of Dave, time would stop every CP until Dave had time to catch up with everything. Once everything was distributed amongst the Ministers, this was less likely, so we moved to a system where the Clock doesn't stop on nday 4, and stops on the other CPs only because the Ballot and the new rules are highly necessary to continue gameplay.

The sentence you mention in Rule 1586 is thus no longer necessary, and in fact I thought I'd propped to remove it.

And in fact, I did prop to remove it, as part of p1952. I just missed it when I implemented the prop.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go fix it now.

--
Wonko

"Tradition is what you resort to when you don't have the time or the money to do it right."
     -Kurt Herbert Alder