Zarpint on Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:08:30 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re:The Direct Approach.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Araltaln wrote:

> My point is, while an automated system would work great for ruleset
> changes, it would take a good deal of work to create one that would be
> great for gamestate changes. Not, mind you, that at least having an
> automated way to deal with the simple cases is a bad thing, but we
> probably need to start with a method that has players in charge of
> everything, and automate from there. Which, come to think of it, you
> said anyway, bd. So I'm not sure what my point is, just that I have one.
>
> Although, by the same token, maybe we should start working on a BNF for
> proposals or something.

I think we should restrict the automation here to changes in the ruleset
also, for the same reasons. Our game tends to quickly outgrow any BNF we
could give it.

In terms of writing it up, I think the web interface should consist of
entering a script with functions like
delete(450);

add("The Fish Rule", "There exists an entity called Bob the Voting Fish.",
"Chutzpah", 7, "Gender", "foobar");

// creates a new rule with title "The Fish Rule", text "There exists an
// entity called Bob the Voting Fish, Chutzpah 7, and Gender foobar

replace(333, "Call for Inquiry", "Call Shenanigans", "The Admin",
"Almighty Bob");

// replaces the text "Call for Inquiry" with "Call Shenanigans" and the
// text "The Admin" with "Almighty Bob" anywhere it occurs.

We then have a CGI script (or however we want to do that) that calls
functions to delete, replace, or add an entry in the ruleset file, which
should be written with unambiguous and clear syntax determining where
rules start and stop. The parsing would probably be done most easily in
Perl.

Also, note that bd's version of Araltaln's prop is different than the
actual prop, which doesn't matter now, but will, considering that we are
all devious Players who love breaking things. bd's version creates a new
rule which repeals itself, whereas the original prop created no new
rules. So if there were side effects for creating a rule, say Dying,
it would matter.

Zarpint

--
Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."