Daniel Peter Lepage on Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:09:41 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re:The Direct Approach.

Zarpint wrote:

> My current thoughts on the SOE are that we need to write out the Admin,
> and so far, only Teucer has a Ruleset that does that, but there are
> a couple things I don't understand about the Proposed C Nomic Ruleset.

I don't think writing out the Admin is the key part of what we're trying to do. Dave can still hang around and be the Admin for as long as e wants; the thing we want to do is automate/distribute the Admin's duties. Simply removing Dave from the ruleset could be done very easily, but it would leave the game nonfunctional. The real issue we need to decide is how we're going to update the gamestate without an Admin to do it for us.

Once upon a time, we discussed developing a 'proposal language'; the idea was that we'd submit proposals online using this language to describe the ruleset changes we wanted to make, we'd vote with a simple web form, and an interpreter script somewhere would process the passing proposals and make the ruleset changes specified. I think it was TPR who volunteered to write this interpreter, but we have heard nothing from him since; one can only assume that real life intervened. So the question is, is anyone else willing and able to write such a thing?

Once that's under control I imagine the rest of the game can be tracked fairly easily. I think we can use the Wiki for many things, especially since I can access the text files directly: if anyone writes a script that reads or writes wiki code, I can connect it to the wiki. So for example a Grid-like game could be handled by requiring all players to update the page whenever they personally made a move, and having a script read in the page contents and change them when things needed to happen automagically, such as gnomes falling from the sky (which could be done in ~20 lines of nice python code, or maybe 2 lines of really ugly python code; I can't speak for other scripting languages).

Anyone have ideas, comments, or code that they wrote years ago for an introductory programming course that turns out to be exactly what we need to do everything?

--
Wonko