David E. Smith on 5 Dec 2003 06:29:46 -0000

[spoon-discuss] options for automating my life

A lot of things in this game can be somewhat automated, if we can work out
a vaguely secure way to do stuff via the B Nomic web site.

I'm just not entirely sure how to set that sort of thing up -- not from a
programming point of view so much as a social point of view.

For instance, let's say there's a Web-based voting interface. This would
not be too hard to set up, since I already use one :-) Would the Web form,
by itself, be considered sufficient? Or should the Web form automatically
send out email notifications to the list?

(I'd really suggest for this that we eventually set up another list,
spoon-robots or something, that's considered a public forum, but to which
no humans can post - we can all subscribe and be happy.)

What would be an 'acceptable' level of security for this sort of thing?
Can I get away with just setting up passwords for everyone, sending out
private emails, and letting that be that? (I can retrofit things like
'players changing their passwords' later.)

Just as important, if there were, say, a Web-based voting form, would
anyone actually use it? I don't want to invest too much effort in
something that won't be used/useful.

...dave

--
David E. Smith  dave@[technopagan.org|bureau42.com|whatisay.com|mvn.net]
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?