Daniel Lepage on 31 Jul 2003 02:22:29 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 46 BALLOT

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:53  PM, SkArcher wrote:

31/07/2003 02:34:50, bd <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 09:16 pm, Daniel Lepage wrote:
[snip]
Personally, I feel that r1592 is a Bad Idea in general. There are many situations when we might want a subgame to take up multiple rules; and
there's no reason why we can't put subgames into single rules anyway.
This is just an irritating restriction that does nothing until it
starts pissing us off.

I was thinking about setting up a general structure for stones-laying
games - define a grid, a stone, etc., and things like Go and Othello
could use it to shorten their own definitions; but it falls apart
because of 1592, unless Go, Othello, and Ataxx are all in the same rule
(which is ugly and stupid).

I agree, and propose:
{{
__More is less__

Repeal rule 1592.
}}

r1592 is intended to stop the horrible sprawl of rules across the entire database that happened with the grid. If it happens with multiple subgames the rules base will become a huge mess of rubbish that is almost impossible to wade thru

If people would include keyword assignments when they proposed rules, we wouldn't have a problem. I would have preferred more sprawl with the Grid - on a couple of occasions I had to wade through the Revision History of r301. It took forever just to load the page, even longer to find the revision I was looking for. If it had been split up into a dozen smaller rules, it would have taken me a tenth the time it did.

If you don't like it in its current form, modify it, don't just repeal it and leave us open to the problem

I don't think it's a problem. I don't particularly care for this 'less is more' movement anymore; it results in absurdly large rules that end up being almost as difficult to go through as the ruleset itself, except we get an alphabetical list of all the rule titles for the ruleset, which we don't get for subsections.

--
Wonko