Baron von Skippy on 14 Jul 2003 04:09:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Where do we go from here?

>>>I'm still thinking learning curve, or time put into
>>>complexity.  Granted, the game doesn't have to
>>>resemble reality in any way, but...suppose one did the
>>>equivalent of a laboratory thing, with experiments and
>>>notes and all, and took a week or a month or whatever
>>>to accomplish a specific effect.  Is it that realistic
>>>that someone could see it done and be able to do it
>>>immediately?
>>
>>-I think this should be determined on a case-by-case basis. In general, it
>>takes a while after someone invents something new for other people to
>>figure out what they did, yes, but as far as Aes Sedai work, those books
>>have always made it sound like if you see it done, you can do it yourself.
>>Now, this offers a nice way around that: If I'm across the Grid from you,
>>I probably can't see the flows you weave as you fling things at someone
>>else, but they can. Perhaps if someone is in Radar (or similar) range of
>>you, you learn it automatically, but otherwise you have to puzzle it out
>>on your own. Of course, that's far, far too complicated to keep track of.
>>Maybe we should go in the other direction; instead of penalizing players
>>who didn't come up with it, just reward the one who did, whether that be
>>in points or increased skill. I like that idea better - for each new spell
>>you invent, for example, you get more points in the fields you used or a
>>better chance of not blasting yourself to bits next time you try to tie
>>your shoes with magic. Or for the building field, for each new invention
>>you get a better chance to understand more complex objects or use new
>>tools, etc.-
>
>Well, then, shall we use stats that start at zero and can be improved over time, which give us varying percentage chances of doing things...one of them being puzzling out effects we observe?
>
>Newbies would be at a disadvantage, though we could potentially solve that by letting them get limited-use stat boosters, which they can use while they gain experience...or, for that matter, sell...

-Or experienced players could train them in exchange for their stats going up a little as well. It would be a huge boon for the newbies and a small one for the oldies, but would take very little effort for the teacher, so it's worth it overall.-

[[BvS]]