Glotmorf on 17 Jun 2003 03:21:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Mining Fix

On 6/16/03 at 11:02 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 10:56  PM, Glotmorf wrote:
>
>> On 6/16/03 at 10:49 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:
>>
>>> Roughly, a region is a set of squares that all have contiguous paths
>>> each other such that all the paths fulfill a given set of properties.
>>> In this case, the property is "A substance other than Void".
>>
>> Cound a region, then, be "hollow", such that the squares that comprise
>> it totally surround a void square?  And as long as the rest of the
>> squares in a region remain contiguous, could one of a region's squares
>> go un-navigable?
>
>The answer to the first is yes. If the 18x18 block in the middle of the
>grid were Void, and the rest were Turf, the ring would still be
>considered a Region of Turf.
>
>Perhaps another definition could be added, a Complete Region, that has
>no holes.
>
>The second question I'm not sure about. What do you mean by
>'un-navigable'? My proposed change only applies to Void vs. Non-Void
>squares; the connection could be filled with Impassable objects and
>still work. I could add Impassables if you'd like.
>
>I think what you're asking is, "as long as there's some connection,
>could some parts of the region go dead?", in which case the answer is
>yes. As long as the two endpoints are both within some region of
>Non-Void, Mining is permissible. It doesn't matter of the size of the
>region varies a lot, as long as there's always a region.

Squares that are sufficiently deep are un-navigable, yet not necessarily void.  I could theoretically mine a sufficiently deep trench around you such that you couldn't leave the square except with a speeder, or unless Barney fell into the trench.

Were we to allow tunneling, we could have 3D regions that wrapped around each other...

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower