Daniel Lepage on 18 Jun 2003 18:52:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Mining Fix

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 11:21  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 6/16/03 at 11:02 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 10:56  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 6/16/03 at 10:49 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

Roughly, a region is a set of squares that all have contiguous paths
each other such that all the paths fulfill a given set of properties.
In this case, the property is "A substance other than Void".

Cound a region, then, be "hollow", such that the squares that comprise
it totally surround a void square?  And as long as the rest of the
squares in a region remain contiguous, could one of a region's squares
go un-navigable?

The answer to the first is yes. If the 18x18 block in the middle of the
grid were Void, and the rest were Turf, the ring would still be
considered a Region of Turf.

Perhaps another definition could be added, a Complete Region, that has
no holes.

The second question I'm not sure about. What do you mean by
'un-navigable'? My proposed change only applies to Void vs. Non-Void
squares; the connection could be filled with Impassable objects and
still work. I could add Impassables if you'd like.

I think what you're asking is, "as long as there's some connection,
could some parts of the region go dead?", in which case the answer is
yes. As long as the two endpoints are both within some region of
Non-Void, Mining is permissible. It doesn't matter of the size of the
region varies a lot, as long as there's always a region.

Squares that are sufficiently deep are un-navigable, yet not necessarily void. I could theoretically mine a sufficiently deep trench around you such that you couldn't leave the square except with a speeder, or unless Barney fell into the trench.

Were we to allow tunneling, we could have 3D regions that wrapped around each other...

You want to come up with a way to put that on a web page?

As for trenches... I was assuming that the Mining Equipment would be flown in by speeder... how else are they gonna carry it in?

--
Wonko