bd on 28 Apr 2003 23:46:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Prop Mod: Soc Rep

On Monday 28 April 2003 07:36 pm, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> It occurred to me that the 'Point Balance' system that I wrote up a
> while back is ugly and stupid. But I think I've got a better one. I got
> the idea from a Magic Card, actually, one called 'Power Sink'. On old
> versions of the card, there was very ugly wording, something like,
> 'target spell is countered unless its caster pays x mana. The caster
> must draw all available mana from all lands he controls until x is
> paid, or until he can no longer draw mana from his lands; he may also
> choose to draw mana from other sources if desired." This is about as
> ugly as the Point Balance thing, and similarly aimed; the goal is to
> force payment of something.
>
> On the new versions of the card, they came up with a much more elegant
> way of working it: "Counter target spell unless its controller pays x
> mana. If he does not, tap all his lands and empty his mana pool." Thus,
> rather than trying to force payment, it delegates the responsibility
> for figuring out how to pay to the player, and sucks him dry if he
> can't find a way out.
>
> It seems to me that Club points ought to work like that too - if a Club
> Prop fails, and its Club doesn't have enough points, then its Members
> should all just lose points. Hopefully, this will encourage societies
> not to make proposals unless they can fund them.
>
> Oh, and I replaced the definition of a Charter with something almost
> identical to the definition of an Automation Script, the idea being
> that Societies have abilities like accepting, ousting and proposing,
> and the job of the Charter is to dictate what causes the society to
> take these actions.
>
> I amend my prop entitled __Don't try to do these things yourself__ to
> be:
>
> {{
> __Fixing Everything__
>
> Amend r578 to be:
>
> {{
> __Societies__
> I. Definition
> There may exist entities called Societies. Each society has any number
> of other entities associated with it; these entities are called its
> members.
>
> II. Actions
> Societies may only take actions which the rules permit them to.
>
> III. Membership
> Each Society is permitted to make any entity a member of itself, if and
> only if that entity has Applied for membership with that society. Any
> entity may Apply for membership in a society.
> Each Society is permitted to make any member of itself cease to be a
> member. This is referred to as Ousting that member.
> Any member of a Society may Quit that society; this causes that society
> to Oust em automatically.
> If a Society has no members, it is destroyed.

An entity should be able to unapply. Otherwise, they could apply, and the
soceity could reject them - but accept them at some random time in the
future. It could even do this after ousting em.

> IV. Possessions
> A Society may transfer any object it possesses to any other entity
> which can possess that object. Societies may possess any objects that
> players can legally possess.

Even Toads? Hm...

> V. Charters
> Each Society may have a Charter. This Charter is a list of conditions,
> and Actions (called Auto Actions) that the Society takes when those
> conditions are met. If it is legal to do so, when the conditions for
> Auto Actions are met, the Society takes those Auto Actions. Auto
> Actions do not take place at the same time that other Actions are
> taking place or pending (like the actions that happen at the end of an
> nweek), they instead become pending until all other actions (except
> other Auto Actions that became pending afterwards) and their results
> finish resolving.

A soceity should also be able to specify information associated with it, but
without force of rule.
- --
bd
<dark> eat Depends: cook | eat-out.