Orc In A Spacesuit on 27 Apr 2003 23:51:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nobody Wins: a play in three CFIs

From: Rob Speer <rspeer@xxxxxxx>
I make three CFIs:

You might want to name defendants. Namely, Glotmorf, Wonko, and myself. That is, unless you think me ruling on whether or not I win is okay.

{{
Statement: Orc in a Spacesuit did not just win the game.

I'm not the defendant, but I'll respond anyway:

Analysis: Orc attempted to modify his Charter to be a rule. This is a
change to the gamestate. By the Default Case, "Players may not change the gamestate." The Default Case would defer to another rule if there were a rule to conflict with it, but none does.

"Orc attempted". No, my society did. My society did this because it does what I say it does. It is this distinction that makes the difference.

Also, by Rule 18: "Changing the Rules is permitted only as explicitly or implicitly described by a Rule." Orc claims that the Societies rule
implicitly lets him change the rules,

No, the societies rule explictly describes societies changing their charters, subject to any restriction in the rules. And by only explicitly prohibiting 'whatever's in the rules', everything else is implicitly allowed. Therefore, modifying a charter is explicitly described, and changing it to a rule is an implicit part of that. And because it's an implicit description, R18 does not prohibit it.

Orc in a Spacesuit