Daniel Lepage on 27 Apr 2003 22:30:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Grounded

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 02:39  AM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 4/25/03 at 12:41 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
I don't want to squash you, I don't want to neuter you, I want to make everything equal for everyone, including you, me, Wonko, BvS, bd, and on and on.

Don't you get it yet? IT IS EQUAL! Anyone can do what I did with M-Tek.

You mean find some long-gone player to suck votes out of? Yeah, sure, we can all do that. That isn't equal. We don't have equal access to long-gone players. As for the rest of it? I AM NOT TRYING TO GET RID OF THE REST OF IT. You want your members to vote automatically? You can. You want members tributing things to M-Tek? You can. I was just trying to change the technical aspects of it to fix lurking bug, and to make sure that anyone, you or not, doesn't suck things out of long-gone players.

Anyone, including you, me, Wonko, BvS, bd, and on and on. If you're trying to make everything equal for everyone, then you're continuously trying to fix a problem THAT DOESN'T EXIST!

I'm done fixing things with societies. Through with it. Done making it so that players aren't articicially kept from garbage collection when they are gone, and done fixing the bug long-standing bug involving forcing someone to do something unless they, at a later date, decide not to, which screws with time. I'm done fixing. And M-Tek still works, maybe with a few charter tweaks.

I really don't think changing societies was the right way to go about this. It seems to me that that doesn't solve the problem - if Iain came back right now and gave me eir proxy, I could keep em alive and get free votes indefinitely.

For that matter, I could survive indefinitely by setting my Automation script to, "Every time I go on Forced Leave, I immediately come Off Leave."

To tackle every single absent-action issue individually would be tedious, ugly, and error prone, but that seems to be what you're trying to do.

It seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to change Garbage Collection to base it on, say, posts to the Public Forum rather than loss of Activity; thus, it becomes a measure of whether or not you're playing, rather than whether or not you remembered to set your automation script before you left.

And I don't care if you don't want to squash me or neuter me, YOU ARE SQUASHING ME AND NEUTERING ME! You've been trying to take away functionality that has worked just fine for M-Tek for a long time now, at no cost to anyone. The result of your efforts is that WBE got incapacitated at least once, and M-Tek's basic business model got monkeywrenched at least once.

M-Tek still works, just need a little charter tweaking.

I don't actually think it's got a charter to tweak...

You've been trying to take away functionality that has worked just fine for M-Tek for a long time now, at no cost to anyone. The result of your efforts is that WBE got incapacitated at least once, and M-Tek's basic business model got monkeywrenched at least once.

I have done my darndest to keep everything as functional as possible. And in some cases, the both fixing things and keeping everything from having short periods of where they needed to adjust just hasn't been possible. At least without doing something on the scale of the Uber.

I think the original wording of societies was fairly effective; the Iain bug seemed to be the only major problem and, as I already said, I think that was a problem with GC, not with Clubs.

--
Wonko