Glotmorf on 25 Apr 2003 03:04:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Uh... Crap...

On 4/24/03 at 9:00 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>Here's how I'm claiming I'm winning:
>*Societies can modify their charters.
>*I have a society that does what I say it does.

Says who?  The charter?  What happened to "charter don't themselves have the power to do anything"?

>*My society modifies its charter to make me omnipotent, but at this point
>this is a do-nothing as it is not a rule.
>*My society modifies its charter to be a rule.

R11 disallows this, especially when taken with r18.

>*Now that the charter both makes me omnipotent and is a rule, I am
>omnipotent.
>*With my omnipotency, I close the loophole and get myself a win.
>
>Wonko's takeover failed (pending his statement otherwise) because he
>didn't
>have any way to modify a charter; I did.
>Glotmorf's takeover failed because he tried to get a charter to do
>something, when charter don't themselves have the power to do anything.
>He
>could have set it up so that his charter did have that power, and set it
>up
>to where he could control that power, but he didn't.

No, I didn't try to get a charter to do something.  R578: "A society does not take actions unless its charter or a rule dictates it does."  M-Tek's charter: "M-Tek takes an Action upon the Prez stating it does."

The Prez of M-Tek, which, according to the roster, is me, said M-Tek changes its charter to have 100 charm.

The Prez of M-Tek (which, last time I checked, was still me) then changed M-Tek's charter to say that M-Tek distributes its charter's charm to M-Tek members if said charm is above a certain amount.

Reiterating from R578: "A society does not take actions unless its charter or a rule dictates it does."  Since the charter at that point said M-Tek distributes the charter's charm if it's above a certain amount, that's precisely what M-Tek did.

I didn't try to tell the charter to do anything.  The charter isn't empowered to do anything.  It only compels the society it belongs to to do something.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower