Daniel Lepage on 19 Apr 2003 05:13:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Fwd: RE: [Thermo] Proposals File

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 11:54  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 4/18/03 at 11:02 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

But that doesn't change the fact that the Grid is scaled differently. We have things like Balls of Wax, Big Sticks, Speeders, etc. all of which
are
based on the player-sized squares. Even if I can stand next to you, that doesn't mean the squares are bigger. And there's not a lot of space at an Elbonian Airway - it's just a slingshot in the mud (and maybe a Pig or
two).

Perhaps it's just my mental image, but I always pictured the grid as
being
not all that much larger than it appears on Orc's renderings of it, maybe
hundred feet to the side of a square, at most; to fit armies into it
requires rescaling by a factor of around a hundred, maybe more if you
really want to fit a thousand faeries in. Many things would cease to make sense at all - can I really run 3000 miles in a day (That's 128 mph)? And
how can I hit you with a Big Stick when you're so far away?

Armies, as they are, just don't fit in.

-Then go with us being huge, or scale them down in your mind - maybe it's
only a platoon of faeries, a squad of elves, two Ogres. Whatever. Or
imagine
everything as pieces on a game board, and we, the demigoddic Players,
hovering above, controlling it all.-

Actually, the demigoddic Players are so big, so badass and so powerful that none of them would tolerate another of them being in the same square. It's not actually a size thing as it is a power thing. Think of it as godlike body odor. Fortunately it's cosmic godlike body odor, so the armies that navigate through the same space, lacking in godlike sense of smell, aren't slain by our sheer presence.

So are Big Rocks really the size of mountains, or do they have cosmic godlike... er... Rock-odor?

I'd been thinking more along the lines of polarized or magnetic Players - we're all North Magnets or something. It's not actually magnetism, or else we'd get stuck in our speeders, but some other force... a sort of 'player-charge' that causes multiple players to repel each other if they get too close. Armies aren't affected because they have no Player-Charge. Big Rocks also have Player-Charge, so we can't go near them; but much more powerfully, so no objects can get too close without being pushed back. Except the negatively charged Sirens, of course, which are bound to the Rocks. And then attract players.

You know, if this Rumble thing ever gets off the ground, Cosmic Godlike Body Odor would be a great name for a Super Power. Or a Rock Band.

Actually, why restrict it to a subgame? What if we just made some random powers that could be granted to players in the game? We'd need a minister to track who had what, but some pretty spiffy powers could be made...

Some ideas:
Enhanced $STAT - get +3 $STAT
Extreme Sexiness - players of opposite gender move around you like you were a siren Flaming Skin - take no damage from entering Fire; take more damage when getting Proto-Frozen Jedi Attendants - get passable MO beings under your control, who can move and attack things
Sulphur Rain - cause a Rain of Sulphur over a 3x3 area
Telepathy - Dave sends you nearby players' private votes
Stone Skin - take no damage from Big Sticks, Sledge-O-Matic, Athames; can't climb up elevation differences greater than one. VoidRunner - if you walk off the end of the grid, a square appears temporarily for you to stand on. You cannot put more than one empty space between you and the Grid without falling into oblivion. Leech - You may take Powers from adjacent players; if you don't do so for three nweeks, you die. Tinker - you may trade this ability with another player's ability if you're near that player and e did not just use this ability on you. Mind Numbing - Force Abilities targeted at you or objects/squares you carry/occupy have no effect.
Lord of the Dance - always act like it's the Tango Season
Slippery when Wet - move through water squares like Ice
Cosmic Godlike Body Odor - players adjacent to you get pushed away

Abilities not on players could be put in a pool, tracked by the Minister; players could then bid on the abilities in points (or BNS?)...

Certain events could give you certain abilities - if you have more than twice the style/charm/BNS of any other player, you gain Extreme Sexiness... if you're elected to the Council of Elders, you get Jedi Attendants... etc...

Or would that overcomplicate things?

--
Wonko