Daniel Lepage on 19 Apr 2003 02:40:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Fwd: RE: [Thermo] Proposals File

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 10:21  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

We seem to be doing a bit of both - the grid was player-scaled up until Armies arrived; now it's actually kind of absurd - a space small enough
to be filled by a single player so that no other player can enter is
somehow large enough to hold an entire Army?

Maybe they're armies of elves.

Some of them actually are. But then again, some players, myself included, are also Elves, and I'm not particularly smaller than, say, an Ogre... Well, 90 vs 300, I guess, but still, my 90... uh... cubic units are enough to keep other players out. Yet somehow I can get an army of many of Elves in a space that could only hold me if I were there. For that matter, I can get an army of Ogres in said space. That doesn't seem right, somehow.

-"So fix it" is answer one. Answer two is that, in my mind, an army of faeries has always been a couple thousand (they're really small), elves number about two, three hundred, ogres number about twenty, and the Borg are one. Well, one mind. Hundreds of bodies.-

And three hundred elves can fit in a space that, if I'm in it, can't even fit two elves?

To "fix it", as you say, could be done in a couple of ways, none of which are entirely agreeable: 1) Repeal armies. In general, I dislike repealing things until we're certain nobody uses them anymore. 2) Move armies to a separate grid. This would require a new Ministry, which would probably land on Dave, who wouldn't want to deal with it. So this would get vetoed.

The other three options don't actually change the game, just how we think about it:

3) Ignore it. Then we get a thousand faeries taking up space like a single Big Stick. That's somewhat absurd, and completely throws off my worldview. 4) Pretend that we, the players, are, say, semi-divine beings; that sort of makes sense, as we have the power to completely reshape the world if we want; it would also then seem reasonable that we're 200-foot tall giants, commanding armies that appear to us as midgets, only an inch or two high. But then we have to reconcile ourselves with Balls of Wax the size of an aircraft carrier. 5) Shrink Armies; they'd still have the same attributes, but now they'd be just two or three beings, maybe even only one. At that point, we'd have to stop calling them Armies; perhaps 'Assistants' would make more sense then.

How attached are people to the current doubled order?

--
Wonko