bd on 9 Apr 2003 21:06:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Step one on the road to InterNomic II

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 10:22 pm, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 09:38  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:
> >> Wow, Nomtella. :P What about the United Nomics? Kind of like
> >> InterNomic, but
> >> the members can do things behind its back, like invading other Nomics
> >> for
> >> suspected weapons treaty violations? ;)
> >
> > -You've managed to hit it right on the head. What I'm looking for is
> > /not/ a centralized InterNomic, but a more flexible web, which better
> > mirrors the real world. The idea of a global police organization which
> > sets the ideas for the world is far newer and less successful than the
> > idea of no two sets of international relations being alike, with
> > trade, subterfuge, sneak attacks, secret deals and alliances, and so
> > on, all existing according only to the rules of those who are
> > participating in them. And that invasion thing - that might happen. If
> > another Nomic steals our stuff, we could organize a coalition to take
> > them down. Why not?-
>
> Because it takes no effort for them to stop us?
>
> You seem to think that we can force other Nomics to do what we want;
> you seem even to think that we can invade them at any time if we
> choose. But we can't. They don't need us nor our rules; if we bother
> them, they can choose to ignore us. And there's nothing we can do about
> it. For us to declare war on a nomic would be like a Magic player
> casting a Lightning Bolt at a player in a nearby game of chess - the
> chess player doesn't care about the bolt, she just ignores it, and the
> Bolter can't do a thing about it. Likewise, if we declare that our
> invading armies trample another Nomic's rules and beat them into the
> ground, they can simply ignore us, as we are not a part of their
> gamestate unless they allow us to be.

We can all join $smallerthanus-nomic and implement whatever proposal we like
:)

> If internomic trading is to occur, it must be something beneficial to
> all Nomics involved; if they don't like it, they don't have to play.
>
> >> Hm... The only other active nomic I know about is Agora, and I'm not
> >> even sure
> >> where that is... Most of the ones on the Wiki, last time I looked, had
> >> out-of-date entries.
> >
> > -Then look under "active games" at the Wiki. Let's see...
> > Agora Nomic
> > Blog Nomic (open only to bloggers)
>
> Still possible... someone just needs a blog.
>
> > Civ3 Democracy Game (active but strange)
>
> It's hard to tell whether this actually is a Nomic...
>
> > ErgoNomic (I think - hard to tell)
>
> Definitely active. And high-tech. They're the ones with a sourceforge
> site for their Nomic engine.

Ooh, aah. I saw that earlier, I'll go read the rules. Or something.
[snip]
> > So, that's between 5 and 10 other Nomics on Nomic Wiki alone. I'm sure
> > there are more out there, we just have to find them.-
>
> FRC is open... though I'm not sure what we could possibly offer them
> that would fit in with eir ruleset...

- From the looks of it, any changes are transient. The site is laggy, though, so
I've only seen the wiki entry.

- --
bd
Behind every successful man you'll find a woman with nothing to wear.