Orc In A Spacesuit on 4 Apr 2003 17:12:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Daily Recognizer (Thursday evening)

From: Glotmorf <nomicmorf@xxxxxxxxx>
--- Orc In A Spacesuit <orcinaspacesuit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 4/3/03 at 9:58 PM David E. Smith wrote:
Orc moves on the Grid, picking up a Bonus Box
(ooh! Shiny! +25 pts).

Mr. A...Orc in a Spacesuit cannot move to eir new
location, as e is inside the new siren's ZATR.

Well, no, I couldn't walk away.  But I could
certainly stare wistfully at the Siren while I kick the throttle foreward. Hence that fix prop I made.

I thought the purpose of your prop was to stop me from
using my remote to fly my speeder away with me in it
where I wouldn't ordinarily be able to move away.

No. I do not tend to direct props at other players or societies, even if I think such might be a good idea. Otherwise, you would have seen props to yank out Iain, neuter M-Tek and vSOI (and now WBE), and more, within the first month of me joining. But I prefer to bring about change in way that's benficial to all, and soften the negative effects on anyone as much as possible. For example, I'd like to see gnome production be seperated from vSOI in the rules, but in any prop doing so, I'd make sure vSOI received a "Gnome Machine" or whatever that would let them continue their activities, for free.

R301 says, "If it is not the Tango Season, Players in
a Siren's ZOE may only move to other Grid Squares in
that Siren's ZOE, and Players in a Siren's ZATR may
only move to Grid squares in that Siren's ZATR or Grid
squares in that Siren's ZOE."  Its use of the word
"move" suggests it doesn't differentiate moving by
walking from moving by flying.

R1071 says, "If a player moves in an Airspeeder, e may
not move while not in that Airspeeder for the rest of
the nweek." I'd say that context means moving is
moving, and whether or not one is in an airspeeder
only dictates how much.

Irrelevant. "If a player is in an Airspeeder which e owns, e may cause that Airspeeder to Move to an adjacent, legal location." "A player who is in an Airspeeder is considered to be at the location of the airspeeder. If an Airspeeder takes a move, all objects in it are moved with it." It says "moves in an airspeeder", not "is moved with an airspeeder". It's a bug.

This is a case of sloppy writing and the general ruleset's confusion of the terms "causes emself to change location" and "is forcefully propelled to some other location", by calling them both "move". This particular issue is part of what got me started on that uber-prop thing; it's also fully addressed in the completed races prop(s).

On the Races Prop(s): It's been done, been done for a few days. I broke it into individual chunks, each addressing a different area (movement, carrying stuff, performing actions, combat, and new stuff), so we can consider them seperatly. I've been holding off on sending it out, as we've got a lot on the table already, and it appears some players have been inactive a little bit recently and will have enough to look over when they check their nomic mail again. So I'm keeping the prop(s) until we get the results of this nweek's votes, and I make whatever tweaks are necessary as a result of props passing.

Orc in a Spacesuit