Orc In A Spacesuit on 4 Apr 2003 16:55:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Prop 1434

From: Glotmorf <nomicmorf@xxxxxxxxx>
Item 2: Doesn't this take away the argument you were
making before about automation scripts being a
cure-all?

In my opinion, and in Dave's as well appearently, NO ONE should 'play' without actually doing things themselves, whether by society or by automation script. If a player is playing, then they should, by definition, actually play.

Item 3: Taking away any requirement that a member of a
society obeys that society's rules means membership in
a society carries no responsibility.

The society can kick the member out. Any responsibility more than that, do we want societies having? And I fail to see how that's any different at all from a member being able to leave if they don't want to do something.

You said
automation scripts can be used to grant a society the
right to command its members to do things, but a
society can't require that said automation script be
created.

Yup. That's right. The society could make it a condition that the automation script be set in order to be a member. Again, I fail to see how this is different from the society ordering it and the member simply saying "no" and leaving.

This also prevents the formation of any sort
of society-based subgame, such as Wonko has been
trying to do for a while, because the members of the
society would not be obligated to follow the subgame's
rules.

Oh yes they would. If they don't, the society can inflict punishments, like declaring the member a loser in the subgame, refusing to include the errrant member in points dispersal or other such things, or simply kicking the member out.

Also, I don't see the point of adding "or a rule" to
"A society does not take actions unless its charter
dictates that it does."

The point is if the societies rule says that a society can do "only blahblahblah", and another rule dictates that the society does something other than blahblahblah, the rules are in conflict, and nobody likes rules in conflict.

That's a redundancy, since anything in the context of the game has to obey the rules (see r10).

But if the the societies rule says "only blahblahblah", then doing /anything/ else would be _not_ following the rules. Therefore, the societies rule and the other rule would be in conflict, bringing in all the nasty chutzpah/layer/serial number mess into play.

It also creates a circular argument,
since the first part of the subsection says a society
can take certain actions limited by the restrictions,
but the restrictions say a society can take an action
if a rule permits it, and lo! the earlier part of the
rule permits it.  This is a muddling logic loop that I
could see being CFId either way.

I don't follow.

Orc in a Spacesuit