Glotmorf on 13 Jan 2003 03:04:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Responses

On 1/12/03 at 6:42 PM Wonko wrote:

>I have an idea involving a grid with a set number of levels, but I wanted
>finish the Grid Minister program I've been working on. Unfortunately, time
>has been sparse of late, so I'm somewhat behind schedule, and I doubt that
>Dave would want to track 7200 squares by emself, so I haven't proposed it
>yet.

Have you come up with a way of representing it on a webpage?

>Meanwhile, there may be a use for a lot of the useless rules we have lying
>around soon anyway.

Oh?  Are rules about to become flingable objects too?

Or...maybe we can sell them to other Nomics.  If we can work out a medium of exchange.

>*--------*
>
>> {{__Immidiate fixes__
>> }}
>
>If this isn't changed, I'm going to vote against it just because I get
>unpleasant goosebumps anytime anyone says, "Immidiatly". The word is
>"Immediate", with an e; its adverb is "immediately".

My son keeps insisting "easilier" (meaning "even more easily") is a valid word.  I'm having a hard time arguing with him about it, since I use "remantle" as the opposite of "dismantle"...

>Anyhoo, one thing really bugs me here: you never destroy the things. I
>think
>it would be much clearer, instead of keeping them on as "approved",
>"denied", or "retracted", simply to destroy them as soon as nothing more
>can
>be done with them.

Proposals are never destroyed either. (I've always wondered what would happen if we tried to modify one...) Perhaps, like proposals, insta-props should be kept around as examples of things that did or did not work?

But I myself still want to see insta-props be voted down if enough people vote "Deny" on them, just to get the issue over and done with.  Though I think I'd also like to see someone who proposed a Denied insta-prop not be able to submit another insta-prop for a certain amount of time, so that e doesn't flood the channel with spurious issues.

>*--------*
>
>> A proposal cannot both create and repeal a particular rule, or both
>enact and
>> repeal a particular rule change.
>
>There's no way to stop this entirely - for example, if my prop's first
>action is to repeal this rule, suddenly it's all legal. Or, I could propose
>to create a new rule which repeals itself after a certain amount of time,
>say, fifty seconds. Or I could just create a rule which did what I wanted,
>and then stayed there and cluttered up the ruleset.
>    As long as proposals can have any text we want, it will never be
>possible to prohibit this sort of thing.

Well, then, what does qualify as "temporarily circumventing the rules"?

>*--------*
>
>Human:   None? This could be made the default...?

If so, there should be minuses to go with the plusses that other races have, so that one might have a reason to choose Human.

>Gremlin
>Str: 9
>Spd: 4
>Wit: 20
>Con: 8
>Gender(s): Any
>Abils:    Combust - like Droid's Self-Destruct; also Hide - 10 FP, go into
>            Hiding for an nweek, then reappear on square of your choice
>            (random square? Service Mall of your choice?)

Do you intend there to be a means for players to become creatures that can be flung around the grid?

As long as we're on that subject, how come we can't fling toads?

Oh yeah...toads need stats too.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower