Wonko on 1 Oct 2002 22:14:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] A proposal for next nweek?

Quoth Glotmorf,

>> I'm not circumventing the rules. One rule says that I'm allowed to make
>> whatever proposals I want. Another says I'm allowed to propose to create
>> societies. There's no conflict there - the two rules agree that I can
>> propose societies in the one method, and one of the two doesn't care if I
>> do
>> it any other way.
>
> There is no rule that says you can make whatever proposals you want.  There is
> a rule that says you can make proposals, and another rule that says that if
> you're gonna use a proposal to make a society you declare its charter.  You
> didn't declare a charter for it; you declared a rule that says it exists.
> Therefore the society being created can't have been created that way.

Well, first of all, the Charter IS there. The fact that it's also a rule is
irrelevant. Secondly, there's no rule that says that if I'm gonna use a
proposal to make a society I must declare its charter. There is a rule that
says that if a proposal states a society's charter, then it creates that
society, but that doesn't in any way affect proposals that don't declare
societal charters.

> Yes, but are all three truly necessary?  In my opinion, if someone creates a
> Corporation, then gives it a Technology it can't produce, or charges a price
> it can't collect, that's eir problem.

It's going to get irritating if we wish to create certain events that can
transfer points/BNS/Units to Corporations. Then we need to check every time
if the transfer in question is even possible.

Personally, I feel that every society ought to be able to possess
points/BNS/Units, but I'm not going to bother arguing except for
Corporations.

>> I wasn't actually thinking of Charter changes... I meant something like the
>> WBE Wealthy Bastard, who's responsible for keeping track of how many
>> points,
>> BNS, Raw Materials,etc. the corporation has. The Corporate Minister for
>> each
>> corporation would, I assume, be the equivalent of a CEO or Prez, although
>> it
>> would be possible for a company to designate someone as a sort of Scribe to
>> track these things.
>
> The problem is with the term "Minister", which already has rather specific
> meaning.  If you mean a club has to have, say, a designated spokesperson,
> that's not a bad idea in general.  I might propose some standard methods for
> that.
>
> If, on the other hand, you mean an independent auditor, how about we go with
> one for everyone for now, unless and until we have a dremload of corporations?

What I had really intended there was for every Corporation to have, as you
say, a 'designated spokesperson', and that the DS would become the
'Minister' of that Society.

Hold on whilst I rephrase the proposal-to-be.

--
Wonko